February 15, 2012

A Girl's Gotta Have Priorities

This past weekend I was enjoying a day off from shaving and was lounging around in my pajamas as I worked on one of my many projects.  I did have some things to get done and this day felt like the day to do them.  I had nowhere to be, no one to see.  However, in the afternoon I got a text from my cousin asking if I wanted to meet up in a couple of hours with a bunch of people and see Star Wars Episode I in 3-D.

I think I’ve mentioned before that I have a cut-off time fixed in my mind, and if I haven’t shaved by that time, I won’t shave at all.  This is because it messes with the success and comfort of the next morning’s shave.  The hair is too short, especially since the medication has slowed down the growth a bit, so I have to really stretch my skin out and press hard with the razor to get a close shave, which means more irritation and sometimes ingrown hairs.  Usually that time is 12:00--even 11:00 is pushing it.

Once, on a similar shaving-free-day, I got a call to go to the beach with a bunch of acquaintances (one of whom was a guy on whom I had a little-girl-type crush) at around the same time of day.  And I declined without hesitation.  That turned out to be a regrettable choice in my opinion, because it was an eventful day, and it led to other invitations for the people who were there... and also gave them the opportunity to talk about me as I found out later.  (Not about my hair, I feel I should add, but about other things.)  I’d been having a low self-esteem day that day, though, and could not have forced myself into a swimsuit to save my life, never mind wear it in front of a guy I liked.  And though I’m very much an original-series Star Wars girl (Han Shot First, and all that), I wanted to experience the whole thing in 3-D in theaters, just to say I did, and with people who felt the same way.  A couple hours is hardly enough time for me to shave, shower, pack on the make-up and get halfway across town in time for the show, but I agreed.  And so, despite having places to be the next day, I took the risk and shaved after 12:00.  For Star Wars.

I’m telling you this to give you a better idea of who I am, because talking all the time about hirsutism doesn’t really give you a good idea of me as a person, I think.  And  I also want to once again say that hirsutism should not hold us back from doing what we want to do.  I had a great time, met some new people, and reaffirmed nerdy bonds with some of my family.  And you know what?  Shaving the next day went fine.  Absolutely no regrets.  Just a good time had by all.



You know, with all those alien races, a lady with a beard could fit in quite comfortably, I bet.  Ooh, bearded lady jedi!  I should draw that, that'd be bitchin'...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

came across your blog accidentaly and while I do not suffer from your diagnosis, I am going to follow you as a reminder about what other people have to live with. This is a wonderful blog for all of us to read.

Allerleirah said...

Well, hello and welcome! Thank you for your kind comments. We don't usually see comments from people who don't suffer from hirsutism, so this is really cool. :D Happy to have you here!

Anonymous said...

It is funny, isn't it? How we limit ourselves, prevent ourselves from doing what we like because we THINK someone is going to think something about us. And, yeah, maybe they will. Maybe they'll see beard, or bikini line that could act as a wig and laugh so hard their eyes will bleed. Maybe. Maybe they'll look, say: "you have hair" and move on. Or maybe they won't care. Maybe. We have no chance of finding out if we dont decide to SHOW IT OFF. Yeah, I know what I just wrote. But thats how I've been feeling recently - that I can "show off" my hair, like someone shows off a new haircut or a new dress. And then it's up to the critics to decide if my "new" (newly-outed) style fits me or not. And if my friends don't think it does - maybe I should look for new friends? s.

Allerleirah said...

There's definitely a lot of shame and disgust associated with this most natural thing. It could do with a bit of shaking up, an injection of perspective now and then.

We might never change prevailing opinion, but we'll probably come to meet people who don't recoil from who we are. :)