February 11, 2011

Goofy Fangirling

I like comics. I especially like webcomics. And I love this new invention of Livestream that lets me watch as artists make them. I get to watch them draw, listen to their music, and sometimes their voice. It's total creative voyeurism.

The other day, I was watching an artist making her webcomic update, while a chat was scrolling off to the side. I'm not sure how the chatters got on the subject, but the artist admitted to not being able to have children. And eventually, she said that the reason for this was because she had PCOS. She lamented to losing her hair with good-natured resignation, the same teasing air with which she presents anything else.

I, of course, was excited. I haven't met anyone within the artistic community who openly talked about something like that. She didn't mention hirsutism being one of her symptoms, but even so, I just wanted to hug that faceless artist out of sheer delight to know of someone with PCOS in the creative world. Even if it's very different from what I have, it's almost a common ground, the kind people don't talk about every day.

I didn't end up saying anything. It was her show, and it was about comics, not hormone issues. But now when I look at her work, I know and I feel just a little bit akin to her.



In other news, I've been on Alesse for two months now, and on Spiro for a month. I'm not nearly as itchy towards the last week of hormone pills, and the mood swings are fractionally better. On Tuesday, I was on my lunch break and realized I didn't have to blot the oil off my face like I normally do, or pat on more anti-shine powder. One of the nice things I noticed about being on Spiro last time; the improvement in my skin.

No comments: