March 30, 2010

Product: KoS Woman Shave & Moisturize Shaving Oil

I stumbled upon the King of Shaves online shop by accident when surfing the web. I knew literally nothing about the company, but I'd just discovered how lovely shaving with an oil could be, and I was intrigued by the idea of a shaving oil designed for dry or spot-prone skin. When I read the descriptions and heard you didn't even have to rinse the oil off after shaving, I knew I had to try it.

There were several options to choose from, and the coward in me chose the one shave oil for women. Sadly, it appears it was discontinued not long after I purchased it, but it still deserves a review. I think the other versions will be worth trying as well. (Let's be honest, though. I'll miss the pink bottle.)

King of Shaves Woman - Shave & Moisturize Shaving Oil - 15 mL

Ingredients:
  • Dimethicone, cyclopentasiloxane, dimethiconol, cyclotetrasiloxane, trimethylsiloxyamodimethicone, aloe barbadensis leaf juice, melaleuca alternifolia (tea tree) leaf oil, tocopheryl (vitamin E) acetate, citrus aurantium amara (sweet orange) flower, lavandula angustifolia (lavender) oil, cananga odorata (ylang-ylang) flower oil, ormenis multicaulis (chamomile) oil, rosemarinus officinalis (rosemary) leaf oil

Things I liked:
  • The price was reasonable, even with shipping--it may be small but it goes a long way.
  • It has everything I like about a shaving oil: it protects the skin, it's transparency allows you to see where you're shaving, and it moisturizes afterward.
  • Unlike mineral oil, you can even pat your face dry without rinsing to take full advantage of the moisturizing properties, without worrying about clogging your pores.
  • The tiny bottle is perfect for travel and it really does last for 50 face shaves.
  • Eventually I got used to the smell and miss it now that I've used it all up.

Things I didn't like:
  • The smell, at first. It smells very green--lavender, tea tree and rosemary are all very present.
  • I can't buy it anymore!

Did it do what it promised?

"Gives a close, smooth comfortable shave"--about the same as anything else I've tried--I do break some shaving rules with pride, after all. "Leaves your skin feeling ultra supple, intensively moisturized and silky soft"--definitely better than anything else I've tried. I just love that it is safe enough to leave on my skin. I still moisturize generously afterward, but using an oil makes the post-shave cover up a little bit easier. And unlike the mysterious chemicals in a lot of other shaving mediums, I recognize the oils used and know they are good for me. I liked it so much, I didn't use it anywhere but my face.

I have seen the woman's type sold on other sites, but for several dollars more than I paid going directly with the company's own shop. I think I'll stick with them, as I'm pretty confident their other oils will be just as nice. Just with less flowers.

See what other people thought of the KoS shaving oils:
Lovemarks
Shavers.co.uk
ShaveReview.com

No comments: