November 30, 2009

Week Two on Spiro

I'm coming up on the second week. Still having moments of panic at imagined side effects. But my period finally came last night. I was worried it would come at work and I'd be so excited that I'd tell the first person I saw. I don't think I've been this glad to see it since it first appeared and I could count myself among the ranks of my "grown up" friends. I finished an ambitious personal challenge that same night, but I was more thrilled about this. I'm in pain that ibuprofen can only take the edge from, and I feel drained and unfocused, but that's normal for me when it comes, and I'm stupidly relieved. It bothered me this much when I was warned it would mess up my cycle, so I can't imagine how women feel when they don't know why they're late.

Thing is, who knows when my next one will come? Three weeks? Three months? I'll have to be on a constant watch, lest I be caught off-guard. That is one of my worst fears, up there with public bathrooms with no doors on the stalls. Except it's a fear I've survived: imagine an inexperienced teenager, a 10+ hour flight to Indonesia, and white jeans. Yeah, I've been there. Doesn't stop me from agonizing over it. It's going to be a fun few months.

I haven't noticed anything else. I had a dream last night that it was making me grow more hair, not less, and it was making a thick, healthy rug of my ribs. No sign of change either way.

I was introduced to a blog this week that totally blew me away. It's not about hirsutism or polycystic ovaries for once. 65RedRoses is written by a young woman with cystic fibrosis. I'm still reading through it, and it makes me feel incredibly grateful for what I have, and so humbled and inspired by her courage and determination. Please take a look; it's worth your attention. I'm hoping to be back later in the week to update again and talk about something other than medication.

2 comments:

Sophie said...

Congratulations!! Guess what? Im still PMSy... which means lots of "depression like" states of mind which I can take for three, four, five, six days... But it's coming up to two weeks now and i am tired of pushing tears backwards and telling myself: "no, this (eg: a disaster at work, a fall out with a colleague, another attack of puking, a pretty model in the ad, a very old couple I saw holding hands,etc) is not a good reason to give up on everything. It is funny (haha) how hormones can hugely influence how we see the world around...
Well, on the good side, my sexuality dropped down to minus ten (always wanted to be asexual, just didnt believe its possible)...

I saw this film once in which a lady who just started her menopause, would put a bit of ketchup on her white trousers so that other think she is still young...

Eh... I was like: i hope it won't catch me on my holidays (i know what you mean when you talk about pain - i have to smoke weed as ibuprofen and all other working painkillers have gluten in them - and there is no weed on holidays..) but now it seems like it can come and go any time... Do I need to be prepared 24/7...?

Al, THANK YOU for mentioning bananas in your previous post. So obvious, sophie, you idiot. I eat bananas for breakfast, lunch, dinner and in between. For about a month Ive been having symptoms of gluten poisoning and seriously was freaking out about - what the hell am i eating that i shouldnt?? so i stuck to bananas... Still sick. Then I read your post. Went back to the wiki and my pill... Yeah, "reduce high potassium food". And if you are a coeliac, you need to "increase high potassium food"... Ok, gotta go to push the tears back again...

Allerleirah said...

Haha, thank you for the congrats. :)

Ah, you have to avoid high potassium, too? Our medications must be quite similar. I hope you start feeling better...