June 23, 2009

Product: Aveeno Therapeutic Shave Gel

One of the products I have seen recommended for sensitive skin has been Aveeno's line of shave gels. I have always had a positive view of Aveeno's products in general; I've liked their moisturizers and they've had this connotation of making natural products for as long as I remember. Some people I know with eczema and other skin problems prefer Aveeno's products to many others. They are a little on the expensive side, but I've been struggling with making my skin happy while I shave for so long that I'm fine with spending a couple of extra dollars.

Took me a while to find Aveeno's shaving products. My usual drug store doesn't carry them, even in the men's shaving section, but I did find them at Rexall for you Canadians. The only two available when I finally found them were the Therapeutic and Positively Smooth gels (they also have an Ultra Calming gel). I decided to try Therapeutic first, just because it sounded more like what my poor skin needed.

Aveeno Active Naturals Therapeutic Shave Gel (with natual colloidal oatmeal) - 198 g

Ingredients:
  • Water, palmitic acid, triethanolamine, sorbitol, methyl gluceth-20, sorbitan stearate, isopentane, stearic acid, glycerin, sunflower seed oil glyceride, isobutane, dimethicone, peg-8 benzoate, methylparaben, butylparaben, ethylparaben, phenoxyethanol, hydroxyethylcellulose, avena sativa (oat) kernal flour, panthenol, hydroxypropyl methycellulose, tocopheryl acetate, allantoin, benzaldehyde, aloe barbadensis leaf juice

Things I liked:
  • It smelled like marzipan! It has no added fragrance, so this is just the natural ingredients and they were not overwhelming like they are in most fruity/flowery women's shave gels.
  • It lasted very well. Two months, and I started using it on my legs up to mid-thigh, armpits and chest, as well as my face. So it can be said that it lathers really nicely.
  • It seemed to make a small difference to the irritation I tend to get on my chest, calves, and back of my thighs.

Things I didn't like:
  • (Keep in mind I've been shaving most of my face except my chin with mineral oil.) After one week of shaving my face with this shave gel, my skin started becoming as dry and flaky as it did before I started using oil. I didn't notice irritation decrease here, either.

Did it do what it promised?

It is said to to provide "a close, smooth shave" and "protect against razor burn, nicks, and cuts." The oatmeal and allantoin are meant to soothe the skin and moisturizers "rehydrate and reduce dryness."

It also says, right on the can, to shave every other day. And seeing as how I also disobey several other shaving suggestions, it's hard to fairly evaluate such a yummy product when I don't "shave as directed." It "can significantly reduce razor bumps," but for me, it was the same as using any other shave gel I've tried; just smelled better.

I started using it on one leg while shaving the other with mineral oil as usual, and I did feel it was a little nicer to use than some of the fruity gels for women I've had up to this point. As I said, it made a small difference to the legs and chest, but no difference in my armpits. It feels like such a nice shave gel, though, that I'd keep using it if I was simply looking for a pleasant medium for legs only.

But for the purpose of using it on your face, I can say you may find it makes a difference for you, but for me it did not.

I wonder if I could get that smell in a moisturizer...?

See what other people have thought of this product:
Reviews on epinions.com
Reviews on amazon.com

No comments: